Everyone starts out the new year year with high hopes and expectations. They outline their so called resolutions which are a compass that will enable them to navigate through the year and make the most of it, but only a few succeed or completely abandon their routine. 2021 could have been just another year for me, but something was different or rather I had acquired something that would allow me to change. I knew I was off to a great start when I learned something new, a concept about a personal knowledge management system called a Second Brain. In fact this very site you are reading is styled to reflect my Second Brain. I dived into every single source material that I could find on this idea or mental model of a Second Brain. My excitement was much greater than the time I learned about Mindmapping and speed reading. This time around, I could finally put an end to my weird habit of information hoarding for the sake of intellectual entertainment. I could finally utilize the knowledge that I had been consuming over the past few years and create something out of it. Switching from data consumption to value creation. I read this article and later watched this video.
My 2nd Brain Workflow
My second brain workflow goes something like the structure listed below. You can utilize this markdown file as an example
Title (H1 - H6)
Img (optional - we use words, but we think in pictures. Pictures are great for memory retention )
Gratitude (HTML5 Tag). In all that i do, i give thanks. I express my gratitude in a number of ways
Q&A (HTML5 Tag). I ask myself questions relating to the content. It takes for a quick summary and understanding… (end)
- The Second Brain
- Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata (Book Series)
- Learning latin with Scorpio Martianus
- Unknown P - Daily Duppy
- Every Type of Programmer
- 100 Ways to Learn Out Loud
- Be The Creative Force in Your Own Life
- Planned Obsolescence
- Giki Zero
- Open Source Motion Capture
- French Dababy
- 3 Idiots
- Replace Gifs with Videos
- Antitrust , Cease & Desist & Price Fixing
- Glorius Dotfiles
- Is Attribution Enough to Avoid Infringement?
- Copyright is Brain Damage
- State Machine in Rive
- The End of Photogammetry?
- I Made Art from Hate Comments
- Magufulification of Africa
- Artistic Coding in Blender
- Gimp: Pop Out Circle Avatar
- Gimp: 3D Text Ingenious Method
- Gimp: Duotone Effect
- Gimp: Animatesd Gifs
- Gimp: Watercolor Logos
- All 39 Gimp Tools Explained
- Gimp: 3D Text Effect
- Gimp: Slice Effect
- Inkscape Explained in 5 Minutes
- All 21 Inkscape Tools Explained in 10 Minutes
- Gimp: Word Art Logos
- 10 Hidden Features in Gimp to Improve Your Workflow
- Inkscape: Isometric Shop Icon
- Inkscape: Isometric Design
- Inkscape: Line Art Logos
- Install Linux and Suffer?
- The War Against Bloat Continues
- ZSA Moonlander Programmable Keyboard
- Why So Many Linux Users End Up on Arch
- Mozilla No Longer Supports A Free Internet
- Alacritty is Fast, but Kitty is Faster
- Vim Can Save You Hours of Work
- Turning Your Window Manager into a Desktop Environment
- Recommended Configuration Settings For Qutebrowser
- First Look At Spacevim
- YouTube is Now, but LBRY is the Future
- Getting Started with Spacemacs
- Creating Packages For the Arch User Repository
- Artix Linux Full Installation with Runit
- Aseprite Parallax Toolbar
- This is Reaper 6
- Learn In Public
- Creative Exhaust; The Power of Being Open By Default
- Start Taking Action on Your Dreams
- Polyglot Rap
- Korea’s First African American Model
- Gilly and Keeves: Isis Toyota
- Vim in 100 seconds
- Is Supabase Legit
- I’ve become an arch enemy of myself
- Ethical hacking in 100 seconds
- SQL in 100 seconds
- Svelte in 100 seconds
- CORS in 100 seconds
- Make awesome SVG animations with CSS
- Sass in 100 seconds
- Write good code comments
- Top 3 ways to center a div
- Reverse engineer CSS animations
- Why so many distros? The weird history of Linux
- 4 steps to become a developer
- Serverless computing in 100 seconds
- WebRTC in 100 seconds
- Bitcoin in 100 seconds
- Use FOMO to grow your app
- Restful API’s in 100 seconds
- Dgraph graph in 100 seconds
- Next.js in 100 seconds
- Websockets in 100 seconds
- 7 Database paradigms
- Git in 100 seconds
- Progress web apps in 100 seconds
- Computer networking in 100 seconds
- Deno in 100 seconds
- Flutter in 100 seconds
- Docker in 100 seconds
- Firebase security in 100 seconds
- Svg in 100 seconds
- React in 100 seconds
- Angular in 100 seconds
- CSS flexbox in 100 seconds
- SEO for developers in 100 seconds
- Regular Expressions in 100 seconds
- Beyond console log in 100 seconds
- Jquery in 100 seconds
- Linux directories in 100 seconds
- ~/.dotfiles in 100 seconds
- Web assembly in 100 seconds
- Typescript in 100 seconds
- CSS animations in 100 seconds
- Big O Notation in 100 seconds
- Gilly and Keeves: Last White Football Team
- Gilly and Keeves uncle Daycare
- Gilly and Keeves Sleep Cop
- The Only White Comedian for a Black Crowd
- Seven Habits of Effective Text Editing
- Neovim Dotfiles
- using polybar with awesome WM
- Vim Koans
- Nvim Lua Guide
- Zettlekasten Simply Explained
- Remove Duplicate lines in VSCode
- What is Right to Repair?
- I Turned My Tesla Into a Pickup Truck
- How Tesla rewarded me for telling the truth
- Farmers are Hacking their tractors because of a Repair Ban
- Arduino Motion Capture Suit
- Adding Mocap to my Indie Game Devlog
- Free Software is Education
- Free Software is Even More Importatnt
- Proprietary Software is Often Malware
- Copyleft; Pragmatic Idealism
- Why Free Software needs Free Documentation
- Selling Free Software
- Why Open Source Misses the Point of Free Software
- Why Free Software isnt Practically Superior
- This is how you keep your dignity and not sell your soul
- What Programming is Never About
- Dont Be Afraid to Code it Yourself
- The Reason Behind Systemd
- Is Google Evil?
- Stop Submitting to conformity and use your brain
- Procedural Programming in a Nutshell
- Mozilla - Devil Incarnate
- How i use SVG in Blender
- I Got Rejected from Y Combinator
- Matt Tran & Techlead Blackmailed and Doxxed Me
- Four Game Devs, One Art Kit
- Did it for the culture
- OnlyFans girls get a heavy dose of reality!
- If Kevin Samuels Was A Rapper
- If Dababy made Christmas Music
- Inkscape & Gimp Masterclass
- Accidentally Went on a Gay date
- Learning Management System
- Modular Laptop
- Automate Arch Linux Installation
- Richard Stallman’s Personal Site
- Building search with Hugo
- Lunr + Hugo
- Hugo Docs:Search
- Andrew Schulz Aks Joe Rogan About UFC Fighter Pay
- What Will Harris Learned Staying with Khabib in Dagestan
- Cross Site Request Forgery
- Energized Pro Sources
- Steven Black
- The FED just killed retirement
- The Middle Class is Gone
- China’s Rush into Africa, Explained
- Why Jumia is Beating Amazon and Alibaba in Africa
- What if we broke the chains of neocolonialism
- Africa Post-Colonial Development
- How it Neocolonialism Impeding African Development?
- Sieve Scripting
- [Fresh Salad Roll]()
- Wage Theft
- Wage Theft in the USA
- Wage Theft; How it Happens
- Inside Mayweather vs Paul
- DOTD; Dry Scooping Trend
- DOTD; Celtics Fan Arrested…
- Donkey of the Day Playlist
- NYT; The 1619 Project <!– >
- The 1619 Project details the legacy of slavery in America
- Fye Fye
Converted all my bitmap raster graphics into scalable vector graphics
Q&A + Prince Kaizen Namwali
- What problems does a second brain solve?
- Information overload
- Post traumatic growth
- Knowledge management (personal)
- Writers block or any creative block (creative output)
Tutorial Hell (escape)
What apps do I need to build a second brain?
Any note taking app that enables you to view folders (PARA),search functionality, markdown - if possible, lightweight (not Microsoft word), sync feature, Cross platform is a plus.
What is PARA?
an acronym that stands for Projects, Areas, Resources and Archive
Projects are the things you want to do that are associated with a deadline
Areas are things in your life that demand continuous improvement (self improvement doesn’t expire)
Resources are the sources of content that you consume (podcasts, blogs, articles, courses, videos, songs…)
Archive is the the resting place for your completed projects and ideas that you don’t know what to do with just yet.
What is CODE?
an acronym that stands for Collect, Organize, Distill & Express.
Collect is the capture habit
Organize is the knowledge factory, not a library
Distill is the filter, the unused ideas are archived
Express is the creative output of the knowledge factory
How does a Second Brain work?
It involves 4 simple steps(CODE). You collect information by capturing it from whatever source you are consuming or random ideas that just light up in your Brain. You then organize that information into your folders (PARA). You then distill that information even further by filtering out what you don’t need(archive). Finally you express everything into some creative output (design, song, blog post, publication, book…).
Who is a Second Brain for?
Everyone (human beings)
Knowledge workers (developers, researchers, teachers…)
Self improvement enthusiasts
Why build a Second Brain?
All the knowledge you already have/know will flow, the content you consume will connect and your future self will be in sync. <!– When a white person says you cant do something you call them a racist, if another black person says it i call it wishful thinking and if in asian person says it>
What browser extensions/addone can be used in tandem with a Second Brain?
Are there any rules associated with a Second Brain?
No rules, its just personal.
Is it possible to create an offline Second Brain?
Yes, using paper & mind maps
Are there any medical journals or research papers written on the Second Brain?
That is something worth looking into…
How does a Second Brain minimize regret?
What are the benefits of a Second Brain in academia?
If you had discovered about a Second Brain earlier, how would your life have been different?
I would probably have done way more stuff by now, but dwelling in the past only causes depression. Its best to in the present were you have control - the choice you make and dont make have a direct effect on the quality of your life.
Does building a Second Brain magically grant success?
When you search the term, Second Brain, something about the gut pops up, are there any similarities and distinctions between that and this personal knowledge management system?
Which application is best for building a Second Brain?
The answer is subjective, but at the moment i love Obsidian due to its rescursive search feature, community plugins and graph view. However, i would lean more towards Markor because i can actually use the details tag, unlike Obsidian which forces me to scroll. I believe the answer also depends on your level of computational literacy. Since most of the Second Brain application are open source you can add features your own features where some of these lack. Markor only lacks a recursive search feature and a true AMOLED theme (not even substratum can save me)
What’s the point of building a Second Brain, if the future will be run by robots, AI & automation?
Unique Human Intelligence is still essential even in the presence of artifical/higher intelligence.
*What are some of Second Brain styles you see around the internet?**
How do you structure your Second Brain?
I use the PARA method, but the one thing I do different is that for every markdown file I add a details tag at the bottom called Q&A. I believe asking myself questions will help me get to the core of the file that I am looking at, helps with critical thinking and helps with storytelling ( interviews, casual conversation and what not)
Who can take away your Second Brain from you?
Do you ommit anything from your Second Brain?
I believe a Second Brain should be unfiltered and you can write whatever you f•••••g want. Just be careful that you don’t share it online. Keep it encrypted. Only share what you distil.
What do you think about using Github or Gitlab as Second Brain?
Its a great idea, just be sure to keep the repositories private. The only drawback I find is that some of the scripts and HTML tags I add to my markdown don’t render because Github has its own markdown flavor. I can’t view colors and so forth.
What can you lose from giving away your Second Brain?
You give up your ideas, even though it might take someone else time to make sense of your notes
Whats the best markdown flavor for a Second Brain?
Whatever flavor allows me to render all HTML tags and scripts. Github flavored markdown is out of the picture
What’s the best not taking file extension for a Second Brain?
Markdown hands down!
Is using RMarkdown for a Second Brain a viable solution?
keep it super simple with regular markdown, but feel free to include other file formats for your projects and what not
*Is Emacs or Vim great for a Second Brain?**
That’s a matter of personal preference
Can you get in trouble for having a Second Brain?
You cant get in trouble for what the eyes of others cannot see. Its personal just like your toenails
Are people with Second Brains less susceptible to fake news, conspiracies, brainwashing and the like?
At what age should one build a Second Brain?
Between the age of reason and initial access to a computational device ( phone, laptop, tablet, PC)
Does TV threaten the idea of a Second Brain?
What would a Second Brain look like if it was a Non Fungible Token?
Can a Second Brain replace storing information in a database?
A second Brain is not supposed to replace anything. Its supposed to work with your current workflow.
How Can You Keep Your Second Brain Healthy?
How can you make money with a Second Brain?
What’s the suitable work environment for people with a Second Brain?
I believe that if you are a knowledge worker you should work remotely because they type of environment is more optimal.
How can sync my Second Brain across my devices?
There’s a multitude of options, consider the following
How can I keep my Second Brain secure from prying eyes and intellectual property kleptomaniacs?
There’s a multitude of options, consider the following
age( go - github)
Linux Unified Key Setup (LUKS)
MAT2 (metadata remover)
Do you need to have attribution for a second Brain?
No! Its yours, its personal , but should you feel inclined do so, even though no one will ever see it.
Do you need permission to have a Second Brain?
It’s all about the permissionless mindset…
Is it possible to get a cease and desist letter for the contents of your second Brain?
No! A second Brain is not subject to any copyright laws of Planet Earth or Interplanetary laws. That’s like saying that your urine is subject to copyright infringement…
In what ways is planned obsolescence related to a Second Brain?
Why did you learn latin?
I got bored of using an English dictionary to look up words
What do you think about Unknown P?
His style of music is just different. Its comical just like Big Shaq’s music, lyrically and well annunciated as Epic Rap Battles of History. Overall his music style though its considered posh drill, i would rather call it intellectual music. You learn something by listening to his music and you feel intellectually energizes, as opposed to being numbed by the mumbles and dumb lyrics of other music types…
What would you say is the most crucial thing you learned this year as opposed to last?
It takes value creation to make money - TK Coleman. I could have that on repeat whole day. Value is what drives the human world. Value creates even more value for people and in return monetary value in the form of fiat or cryptocurrency comes pouring in like rain in your wallet.
What is the most interesting thing you learned this year?
Learning about planned obsolesence got me thinking, i even wrote an essay on it to explore the title even more. Planned obsolesence is just plain evil, no wonder its outlawed, but its still practiced…
Does collecting information increase your knowledge?
No, thats a false claim. The act of merely collecting information alone does not make you smart or more knowledgeable. The argument could be made about people who have massive collections and shels of book, ie Tai Lopez, but that doesnt meant they are smart.